By LYNAIRE MUNNINGS
Tribune Staff Reporter
lmunnings@tribunemedia.net
KATRINA Kelly’s family yesterday rejected a series of false reports circulating about the missing Eleuthera woman, including claims that her body had been found shot and badly burned, as search efforts continued and relatives maintained hope that she would be found alive.
Keith Kelly, Ms Kelly’s uncle, said the family had received several unverified reports, including claims that her body had been found with a gunshot wound and was badly burned.
He said police confirmed that Ms Kelly had not been found and that an inspector told him shortly before yesterday’s interview that investigators had found nothing to substantiate the claims, some of which circulated on social media.
“When it first came out yesterday, we all were together yesterday by the house, by my sister's house,” Mr Kelly said. “We all were there, and all of a sudden, somebody sent something to the phone and said they saw a gun. They found a body with a gunshot to the head and badly burned, that was a lie.”
He said another report circulated later that night and was also false.
“They say something like, she was found at Preachers Cave; that was a lie,” Mr Kelly said.
Rewards totalling up to $52,500 are being offered for information that could help find the woman, including $50,000 from the Fox Foundation.
Search efforts continued yesterday in the Current Island area, particularly in the channel, where a diver was expected to search the surrounding waters.
Mr Kelly said relatives remained in contact with police and were frustrated by the continued circulation of false information.
“If anything would have been found, we would have known first because we were there,” he said. “Even if we weren't there, a lot of us were there yesterday evening. Same thing, you see: a lot of us were there, and yet we could still find these things circulating throughout. I don't understand why they would do it.”
He appealed to those spreading the reports to stop.
“They need to stop,” Mr Kelly said. “They need to stop. Whoever it is, they need to stop it.”
Ms Kelly, an assistant manager at Pink Sands Hotel who also operates a car rental business, disappeared from her Bluff home last Tuesday night.
Her 11-year-old daughter previously told The Tribune that Ms Kelly left between 9pm and 10pm after saying she was going to drop off friends and pick up food.
The girl later saw three dark figures get out of a vehicle and speak with her mother before Ms Kelly left with them. She did not recognise the men, and Ms Kelly has not been heard from since.
Police issued a missing-person poster on Friday as family and friends circulated appeals and information about the search.
Relatives have previously expressed fears that Ms Kelly may have been the victim of foul play or could be held against her will.
Her cousin, best friend and godsister, Loretta Cash-Pierre, said the family initially did not become alarmed because Ms Kelly had previously stayed away from home, particularly around the anniversary and birthday of her brother, Ashantio Clevorn Johnson.
Johnson, 23, a Bahamas Department of Correctional Services trainee officer, was fatally stabbed at Blu Ice Restaurant and Bar last year. His birthday would have been last Wednesday.
Mrs Pierre said Ms Kelly normally told relatives when she planned to be away and would reassure them that she was safe.
Concern increased when Ms Kelly failed to collect her mother from the airport after her return from the United States and stopped responding to messages.
Mrs Pierre said she provided police with Ms Kelly’s electronic devices and information concerning people who had rented a white Nissan Cube connected to Ms Kelly’s car rental business.
Despite their fears, Mr Kelly said the family remained hopeful that Ms Kelly would be found alive.
“I just want her to know if she's seeing this, we are there looking for her,” he said. “Yes, we want her to come home. Yes, we want to see her alive. We want to know that she is alive.”
He said Ms Kelly’s mother was struggling to cope with her daughter’s disappearance while still grieving the loss of her son.
“She’s right there. She's trying to hold up,” Mr Kelly said. “She's even said to me. ‘I know she's alive.’”
The family is urging anyone with information to contact police and is appealing to the public to stop spreading unverified reports about Ms Kelly’s whereabouts as the search continues.




Comments
birdiestrachan 5 hours, 42 minutes ago
As long as there is life there is hope. No matter the circumstances I pray she is all right.
Sign in to comment
OpenID