0

PM reaffirms commitment to sending troops to Haiti

PRIME Minister Philip 'Brave' Davis speaks during the opening ceremony of Diplomatic Week at Baha Mar Convention Centre yesterday.
Photo: Dante Carrer

PRIME Minister Philip 'Brave' Davis speaks during the opening ceremony of Diplomatic Week at Baha Mar Convention Centre yesterday. Photo: Dante Carrer

By LEANDRA ROLLE

Tribune Staff Reporter

lrolle@tribunemedia.net

PRIME Minister Philip “Brave” Davis said the country is “gravely concerned” about the worsening crisis in Haiti while reaffirming his administration’s commitment to sending 150 officers to Haiti to help stabilise that country.

Mr Davis said without strict security, the Haitian people will continue to suffer, emphasising the need for a Haitian-led solution.

His comments come as his administration continues to resist calls to stop repatriating people to Haiti.

“By all accounts, the reports from our Caribbean Community’s Eminent Persons Group, which includes former Prime Minister the Rt Honourable Perry Christie, are a sobering reminder of how we have failed the Haitian people,” Mr Davis said in an address to diplomats at the opening of Diplomatic Week at the Baha Mar resort yesterday.

“The humanitarian and security support required to counter gang activities is urgent. The illicit flow of firearms allows gangs to stockpile dangerous weapons that are no match for the Haitian national police. More and more armed violence and gang enrichment into neighbourhoods and territories in and around Port au Prince are worsening, resulting in harrowing experiences for Haitian citizens, especially women and girls who are victims of sexual violence.”

Earlier this month, the United Nations Security Council approved a year-long multi-national security mission to Haiti that Kenya would lead.

However, a Kenya court has temporarily blocked the government from deploying troops there after petitioners argued that sending officers outside the country is illegal. The court’s temporary injunction is valid until today, October 24.

Foreign Affairs Minister Fred Mitchell previously said he does not believe the court’s decision will be a long-term issue.

Comments

Sign in to comment